Nottingham High School Archive

Search using this query type:



Search only these record types:

Item
File
Collection

Advanced Search (Items only)

Balls, Boots and Players.

Dublin Core

Title

Balls, Boots and Players.

Subject

500 Years of Nottingham High School.

Description

500 Years of the School and it's Community

Creator

YG

Contributor

KS-M

Items in the Balls, Boots and Players. Collection

Detail of the school Charter, a letters patent, signed by Henry VIII in 1513, giving Agnes Mellors permission to found a school in Nottingham.

Nottingham School moved from St Mary's Church to a building in Stoney Street towards the middle of the Sixteenth Century and remained there for over 300 years. At some point in the intervening years the name changed to The Grammar School

The first lessons of Nottingham School took place in St Mary's Church, now in the Lace Market. One of the original donors of the school was Richard Taverner, Vicar of St Mary's, who gave ten shillings.

School from the air showing the roof of the new Sixth Form centre covering one of the two quads.

This drawing, made 5 years after the school was opened on Arboretum Street shows the original one storey building of two large school rooms separated by the school entrance. Within the next ten years the building was excavated downwards creating a…